Unsure Feelings

Over the past couple of days my emotions have varied about what I now know is a shooting and not a murder. First, news was that an 18 year old (Carlos Garvin) had been murdered-- shot in a drive-by in a part of town that has a record of gang activity and violent crimes.

Instinct said this is a gang shooting. Digging deeper, the young man's family told a different story, as is usually the case. But, this was different. The family was flanked by the youth minister from his church and his Christian basketball coach.

They all talked about him being a pretty calm and boring kid. It made me think of myself. My view of the victim changed. Sympathy set in. He was no longer a dead gangbanger. Sadly, he was a young man with great potential. He could have "come up" from his surroundings and contributed to society.

But why were he and his friend playing with a gun?

No comments:

Post a Comment